Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Weird, annoyed, nervous, and impressed

Zoe went to school today, but Emily stayed home again. She is doing better, but she still hasn't totally bounced back from this illness. She ate more today and even played on the computer a bit, but for most of the day, she sat in my chair or laid on the floor and watched movies or played with her new Nintendo. It's nice to have my chair functioning again!

The hospital called this morning to pre-register me for when I go into labor. Weird. I wasn't expecting the call and it seems too early to be thinking about going into labor, but I guess it's good to be prepared.

I couldn't find one of my flip flops this morning and then I couldn't find one of Zach's sneakers a little later. Weird. I checked the hat and mitten box to make sure it was empty because I wanted to bring it out to the shed when what did I see? Shoes! Mystery solved.

Judy and Jerry Booth came over to Visit Teach today. They brought Emily a birthday present and some cookies, Zach got a new truck since the wheels of the trucks they got him for his birthday came off when he started to play with them, and Eleanor has a present waiting to be unwrapped on her birthday. Emily showed signs of feeling better when she wanted a cookie after Judy gave them to her. And Emily is also back to fighting with Eleanor!

The black flies are out. They are not biting yet, but just having them around is annoying. They like me for some reason. Tons of them were swarming around me today and now I feel like they are still around me even though I know that they're not. It's annoying.

Eleanor spotted a bee in the house and sure enough there was a wasp in the kids' room. Normally I would keep an eye on the wasp until it got somewhere that I could spray it with raid to kill it, but today it didn't bother me. I wanted it out of the house, but I didn't obsess about it. I thought about throwing a shoe at it, but it was near the window, so that wasn't going to work. When the kids were getting ready for bed, Eleanor noticed it on the floor, so when it was on her blanket, I picked up the blanket and opened the door to put the wasp outside. It took a few shakes, but it finally flew off. This is huge progress for me!

I drove the SAAB for the first time this evening to the grocery store. I know how to drive a stick shift, but since I had never driven this one before, I was nervous. Matt kept telling me to give it a lot of gas to get it going, but I didn't succeed the first 2 or 3 times and kept killing it. I finally gunned it and got off to a jerky start, but I was moving. And as I was driving down the driveway I wondered how many times I was going to kill the engine in town when I had to stop and then go. Oh well, I was on my way and there was no turning back. The shifting of gears went smoothly, especially with the "shifting for dummies" light that comes on and tells you when to shift up. And I didn't kill the engine in town :-), but I haven't mastered a smooth take off yet.

I actually went to the grocery store tonight with a list. That is rare for me. But I got on allrecipes.com and printed an ingredients list for several recipes that I had picked out several weeks ago and had saved to my list of recipes. I liked how the ingredients on the list were grouped together in categories such as produce, bakery, dairy, condiments, spices, etc. It made the shopping easier and I didn't have to backtrack because I knew exactly what I needed in each area of the store. Very nice! I always feel better after grocery shopping when I come home with meals and not just random food...which unfortunately doesn't happen the majority of the time.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I cannot believe you are so close to another baby! Got a name yet?

Gabriela said...

Sorry you guys have been sick! I've got one down with the croup right now.

I LOVE driving a stick. Love, love, love it.

I know what you mean about shopping with a list with meals in mind, I like to do it, but it doesn't often happen that way.

Hope everyone's better tomorrow!

Janae said...

I hope you had some fun driving the new car even with the shaky start:)