Friday, May 23, 2008

Field Trips

My mom took the day off from work today to watch Eleanor, Zach, and Kate while I went on Zoe's field trip to our local university. The 45 minute bus ride seemed like HOURS to the kids. We started our day at the Page farm & home Museum to learn more about simple machines. The kids used a drop spindle to make yarn, they used a machine to weave the yarn, they made a screw out of paper and a straw, they made a pin wheel, and they did something else that I missed because I was helping out another group as they were making screws and pin wheels. It was nice that all the presentations were hands-on and kept the kids interested. We then walked to the Union to eat our lunch. The kids usually get a morning snack at school, but they didn't get one today. Their teacher informed them that they wouldn't starve without a snack today, but we sure were hungry by the time we ate our lunch! We then walked over to the planetarium to watch a presentation on moon phases. As I was trying to stay awake, I didn't catch much of the moon phases, but I did see the footage of Neil Armstrong on the moon, and a picture of earth from the moon and that was neat!
A friend of mine went on the trip, so it was fun to sit with her on the bus and catch up since we haven't seen each other in awhile. Adult conversation!!!

Emily also had a field trip today to our local movie theater to see "Charlotte's Web". Her class finished reading the book together yesterday, just in time to see the movie today. Emily had fun, but she also stressed all day about the fact that she lost her parent pick-up note saying I was bringing her home after school, so she worried about having to take the bus when she knew I was going to be at the school to bring her home. When she didn't come into the lobby with the other children going home with a parent or other adult, Zoe and I walked down to Emily's classroom. We found Emily waiting in the bus line with a tear running down her cheek. Poor thing! I'm glad we rescued her before she got on the bus.

I meant to post pictures last night of Zoe and Emily's artwork for the "Kids in Motion." Here are the pink sandals that Emily decorated...


And the Hawaiian shirt that Zoe decorated...


I'll try to post more video footage next week. I'm off to the temple tomorrow. :-) Matt is still not feeling 100%, but he is well enough for me to escape. He had the house to himself today with lots of peace and quiet. I hope he enjoyed it!

No comments: