Sunday, October 07, 2012

My favorite conference talk

My favorite conference talk was given by Linda K. Burton, General Relief Society President.  Her talk was based on these 4 words, Observe and then serve.  I have never been good at being observant, but I am getting better.  I have so many good examples around me who are aware of needs and do everything they can to meet them.  I have noticed this service and I try harder myself to look for ways to help people.  When I took Kate to her cheering class, there was a boy (the only boy in the class) who was standing alone by the wall.  I sat down near him to watch Kate.  This boy mentioned a few times that he was nervous as the rest of the class sat in a circle and the teacher took attendance.  I asked him if he wanted me to sit with him in the circle and he said yes.  Some parents were there to watch, but a lot of the kids just stayed after school and the parents arrived near the end of the class.  This boy was all alone and my heart went out to him.  I stretched with the class and this boy, and I helped him do a back bend.  As the class learned jumps, I told the boy that I would sit near the wall and watch.  He was getting more comfortable, so that was okay, but he still wanted to be able to see me.  His Mom arrived about half way through the class and the boy brought her over to meet me.  I was glad that he was happily involved in the class when she arrived and not standing alone by himself nervous and sad.  Observe and then serve.  :-)

No comments: