Thursday, March 12, 2009

More playing and cleaning

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has a hard time with pretend play. 4-5 year olds LOVE pretend play and it seems that the majority of the time my 4-5 year olds don't want to pretend play with their younger sibling, they want to pretend play with me. I would much rather read books to them or play a board game, but even when we do those things, we always get back to the pretend play. With the girls, it was Barbies or My Little Pony or Littlest Petshop. I was really hoping that Zach would skip this stage, but he didn't. With Zach though, I've made peace that once a day I will pretend play with him, which helps me not to feel guilty during the rest of the day when I am cleaning and doing other things that need to be done or that I want to do. Kate on the other hand, is at the book stage. She loves to sit and look at books and she loves to have me read to her. When the snow melts, Zach will want to be outside swinging, so maybe the pretend play will be more sporadic then. :-)

I love how Kate calls an oatmeal pie ~ o-o-pie.

I cleaned the hallway yesterday and found a new place for our library books. We had them lined up against the wall in the hall, but lately Noah has been getting into the books and the books are always scattered throughout the hall and being stepped on. Not good. Now the books are in a bin in the kids' room where Noah can't reach them. I made a cars/trucks bin for Zach and I put some bigger toys that were in the bins on the top shelf in the closet. Much better.

Emily has been missing her 2 library books from school for a few weeks now. This morning as I was getting on the computer, I remembered seeing a book halfway under the computer armoir and sure enough when I looked under, I saw one of her books. I have no idea where the other one is, though. Zoe said she saw it in our room, but we have looked in there and I haven't seen it. I need to start looking in places that I wouldn't normally look.

I had to get gum out of Kate's hair yesterday. I was able to get it out without much trouble, thank goodness! I think the gum fell out of Zach's mouth when he was under his chair with Kate. They were fighting of course, so when I lifted the chair up to get them out, I noticed the gum in Kate's hair. I noticed it right off, so it didn't have a chance to get too tangled into her hair.

Zoe was quizzing Matt about the desert during dinner last night. Of course he knew everything she had learned and more, so she wondered how he knew so much. Matt pointed out that he grew up with the smartest person in the world...Doug Erickson!

After dinner, Noah and I escaped to my parents' house to hang out with my mom. We watched Glenn Beck and played a game of Phase 10. Fun!

If you have principles and values, watch Glenn Beck tomorrow at 5pm EST on the Fox News Channel!

I just watched Zach write "ZACH" all by himself! Great job, Zach!

5 comments:

Kris said...

When my kids ask me how I know something, I tell them "because I went to school" - but maybe it's really because I grew up with the smartest person in the world! :)

Finding a lost library book is the best feeling! I hope the other one surfaces.

Gabriela said...

:) LOL about the library books-I am always searching for someone's book! I just found one that had been lost for a couple of weeks and Juan Carlos just brought home a new overdue notice!!! I have no idea where it is since I just searhced the house for the last one and didn't see it.

(I'm not good at pretend play either.)

Anonymous said...

I'm good at the "Let's build a fort and pretend" kind of play. Not so much the "let's dress up barbie AGAIN" kind.

Even when I was little, Lex and I would only play with actual dolls or toy figures or something for an hour or so, then it was just boring and we wouldn't touch them again for days.

I plan on telling my kids I know everything because I'm a Conner. I think that's fair.

Phae-Jae said...

My 4 year old is the only one of mine that does NOT like me to pretend with her. She is WAY too practical.

Phase 10 and Glenn Beck...love it!

Doug said...

Whatever!