Friday, June 13, 2008

A perfect moment

Eleanor, Zach, Kate and I ate lunch at the McDonald's in Walmart today after picking up Eleanor's pictures. The kids were little angels. I can't complain about one thing. An older couple commented as they were leaving what great kids I had and they couldn't believe how quiet they were. They said their 3 year old grandson would have been bouncing off the walls. I assured them that I have had those moments as well, but they didn't believe that my quiet kids could act like that. Believe it! They also gave me the credit for such well behaved children, credit that I didn't deserve. I got lucky that this spur of the moment decision to eat at McDonald's went so well. I don't want the blame if my kids are acting bad, so I can't take it when they decide to be on their best behavior either. I am currently reading "I was a really GOOD MOM before I had kids" and a lot of it focuses on the fact that as moms we judge each other and constantly compare ourselves with other moms, which I agree we do. Even these grandparents compared their grandson to my kids and probably judged the mother. I LOOKED like the perfect mother with the perfect kids at that moment, but catch me in a few hours and see what the picture is then. Right now I am sitting in front of the computer while my 3 & 5 year old watch "The High School Musical Concert". Am I in the "good mom" or "bad mom" category now? We need to remember that every child, every mother, and every moment is different and we go through different moods and levels of energy. So many different things factor into every choice we make. It was nice hearing how well my children were behaved and I was pleased with their behavior, but as I'm sure you all know, that doesn't make them perfect and it doesn't make me perfect, even though it may APPEAR that way.

4 comments:

♥Shally said...

I am perfect.

My kids are perfect.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say your kids aren't perfect all the time.

Now I am off to get one twin out of time out for screaming and hitting and to give some attention to my little 11 month old who is being totally ignored while I am blogging...

Again. NO idea what you are talking about. ;)

Dawn said...

So, so true! It is so wonderful when they decide to be perfect angels in public!!

Did I mention last time how cute it was that your Kate was talking to our Kate and Emma on the screen?

Cindy said...

I'm so glad that you shared that today. I really needed to hear it! Thanks!

Janae said...

We all deserve a perfect moment now and then...they are so few and far between for me these days...(sigh)