Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A week of basketball

A couple of weeks ago, I sent in an application for Zoe to participate in a basketball clinic at a local college this week. The pamphlet said that I would receive information back stating the registration times, there would be health forms to fill out, and a sheet of what to bring. I never received word back from the clinic, so I wondered if Zoe was registered or not. I brought her to the basketball clinic this morning a little early, not knowing if she was officially registered or not, but figured we would go and see. I assumed that the clinic was going to be at the gym at the college, so I got on the internet last night to print out directions. I found the gym this morning with no problem and there was lots of parking, which I wondered if I would have problems with since the college students have classes this week. We went up to the registration table and gave Zoe's name, the coach had her name on the list, he checked it off, asked Zoe if she brought water and a snack and she said yes, and we were good to go. A lot easier than I anticipated! I think all the additional information must of been for the overnight camps that were advertised for the summer. Matt was home today for Patriot's Day, so I didn't have to bring all the kids with me. :-) Zoe was very nervous at first since she didn't know anyone and most of the kids were boys, so I sat with her until it started. A few other girls trickled in and started shooting baskets, but Zoe just watched. Right before it started, she got up the courage to go get a basketball (which was flat so she went back and picked a different ball) and she sat back down. And then the coach blew the whistle for the kids to put their balls away and gather in the middle of the gym. The coach divided the boys and girls and then divided them into age groups, which was good because the clinic was for 3rd through 8th graders. That's quite an age span! Zoe started to feel more comfortable as she was placed with girls her age. I watched a half hour of the practice and then decided to enjoy some alone time since Zoe was doing well. I figured that she would be more likely to make friends during their breaks if I wasn't around and I was right. Morgan is her new friend. Zoe and Morgan are the only 3rd grade girls and the other 3 girls in their group are 5th graders according to Zoe. It was nice and much easier getting Zoe settled into the clinic today without the other kids. But tomorrow and the rest of the week, I'll be killing 3 hours with the kids while we wait for Zoe. It is supposed to be sunny and hot for the next 2 days, so I am planning on going to the park. The fun will be getting everyone ready and out the door by 8:15!

This afternoon the kids and I went over to my parents' home to visit my mom and so I could go through the many kids' clothes that I have been storing in my parents' attic. It's time to dig out the Spring/Summer clothes and organize the rest. We are very blessed to have several friends who give us girl and boy clothes as their kids outgrow them. It has saved us a lot of money! And the clothes are adorable. Matt gets annoyed every time we leave church and there is a bag of clothes sitting in our car, but those clothes keep Kate dressed and looking so cute. Matt locked the car doors this past Sunday, but it didn't stop a bag of clothes from appearing on top of the hood of our car! Yes I am constantly going through bags of clothes and constantly arranging clothes and rearranging clothes, but I am grateful for these clothes that we receive. So from all of these clothes that we have received, I went through most of what was in my parents' attic with a few boxes left over to go through in the near future. Zach won't have to wear his winter boots or church shoes out to play or canoeing anymore, he has a pair of swimming shorts, Kate is now the proud owner of 2 pairs of crocs, Eleanor has a "new" pair of sneakers, and the older girls can start wearing their capri pants again. :-)

3 comments:

Kris said...

Go Zoe, you are so athletic, from canoe paddling to basketball! that sounds fun. And go Joey, that's a big project to keep all of the clothes organized. Spring is hard, because you need so many things out for the very changeable weather.

Janae said...

What a fun week of basketball for Zoe! I am glad that the registration was smooth:) the clothes dilemma...it is very hard to keep organized yet, very worth it if we do:)

Phae-Jae said...

Fun! I want want at least ONE basketball girl outta mine ;)

I love getting clothes too!