Thursday, January 08, 2009

What time did you get up this morning?

It is 5:09 AM and I am up with Noah. Zach woke me up just before 5:00 for a book. I refused to give him a book last night at 8:00 when it was time to collect Nintendos and time for all good children to fall asleep. I got up this morning to get him a book because I knew he wouldn't go back to bed until I did. That woke Noah up and the rest is history. So Noah is off to an early start of celebrating being 6 months old today! Even though I long to be baby free, I am trying hard to enjoy Noah at this stage for the short time that he will be in it. He is getting to the fun stage of being able to sit up by himself. I have to watch him closely when he sits because he's also at the stage where he falls back or off to the side without warning. It's nice that he will lay on the floor and play with toys when he is fed and happy...like right now. I am constantly scanning the floor for choking hazards, which there are many of around here! I love it when Noah smiles at the kids and interacts with them. Soon enough he'll be running around and causing trouble with them.

Thank you for all of your kind and helpful comments on yesterday's post. It was so fun to hear from you, Bonnie! I went throughout the day wondering if I should have written the post at all. I don't like being so honest, but my goal this year is to be honest with myself, so I guess I'm on the right track. I do agree that motherhood can cloud my judgment of myself and everything else. I am tired a lot of the time, surrounded by children who are fighting a lot of the time, constantly changing diapers, feeding children, and rarely getting time to myself. I wouldn't have it any other way. I keep reminding myself that my children will not be around forever and things will quiet down and be less demanding as they get older. The needs and issues will change. I'll probably long for these little kid days again...but right now I have a hard time believing that. Matt and I watched "The Nanny Diaries" last night (great movie and I actually stayed awake through the whole movie!) and when it was over, I was grateful that I raise my children myself. It is a lot of work, constant work, but I can proudly say that I am my kids' mom! I am also a woman who likes to watch movies, especially romantic comedies, and I like to read. I started reading "The host" by Stephanie Meyer last night. I like to be productive (notice I'm blogging right after I wake up so early!). My days fly by as I putter around the house and take care of the kids. Speaking of kids, I need to go wake the girls up to get ready for school.

Random Notes: Matt has been wanting to sell something on e-bay, so he got on yesterday and listed a Samurai manual. Maybe we'll start making money from our de-cluttering!

Zach lifted up his shirt yesterday, noticed his belly button and shouted, "I still have a hole!" What would I do without these entertaining children of mine?

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I did this before I moved here. It was a long hard year full of pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. It was SO hard, but you can do it. I am so much happier now and it's totally worth it! We are all happier.

Dawn said...

The struggle you discussed in your last post is universal. I still don't know as much about myself as I would like to, and I'm 61! And now I don't have any more to think about it now any more than I did when I was home with the kids and then off to work full time.

What time was I up? Well, at 2:00 a.m., Kev called from Kenya - I got the part about being out of money and then I couldn't catch another full sentence - it was breaking up terribly and he couldn't hear me either. I shouted for him to e-mail me, which he did. Seems as though things are much higher there than they were before the riots a year or so ago, and they have been sharing their "wealth" with the rest of the family. So after e-mailing back and forth a few times, I headed for the grocery store to send a Western Union money gram - at 4:00. BUT - nobody's there to do that job until 7:00 a.m., which is after the place closes over there. I finally got back to bed around 4:30 and will send a small amount today for them to get when the place opens in the morning - it's now 5:30 p.m. there, so it'll be awhile. Oops - didn't need to write a whole post!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I am cracking up at Zach's discovery moment! That is so funny!

I like The Nanny Diaries too. I think Scarlett Johannson does a great job and I completely agree with you about being your children's mother. I mean, the women in the movie don't even have jobs, they just want to feel important so they clog up their days with so many luncheons and women's get-togethers or whatever that they don't have time to raise their own kids. Ridiculous.

Kris said...

Happy 6 months Noah, that is such a fun stage.

Waking up at 5:00 makes for a long day, but you could get a lot done!

I hope you like the Host, I read that this summer. It was really long but I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Joey, I look forward to reading your blog everyday. You may feel your life is mundane or monotonous, but you really are doing important work. Teaching preschool has taught me that. And yes, one day you will look back and wish for it all back. I know I do. I will share with you some excellent advice I received from a professor at Ricks College, he taught me to "Celebrate the Temporary" and frankly, everything is temporary.