Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Discovering Myself

I've been wanting to watch "Runaway Bride" lately. I love the ending when Maggie (Julia Roberts) goes to Ike (Richard Gere) and tells him that she ran from their wedding because he knew who she was, but she didn't. She then tells him that she loves eggs benedict and she hates all other eggs (throughout the movie she would eat whatever eggs her boyfriend ate, and she realized that she didn't like big weddings, which is why she always ran. I have been thinking that I am a lot like Maggie in the fact that I tend to go with the flow of things around me and agree with everyone because I want to be liked and I want to get along. Something must be wrong with me if I have a different opinion or don't like an activity that someone else does, but of course that's not true. One of my goals this year is to find out what I really like and what my opinions really are and to be me. I have never been a fan of me. That is something I need to work on, too, loving me. It's hard to let other people love me when I don't love myself because I don't understand what there is to love. I focus too much on my weaknesses and that needs to change. I know that women are daughters of God and that we have many talents and strengths. It is time for me to believe that I belong in this group and to discover who I really am. And of course I'll be blogging about this journey of discovering me. :-)

P.S. Noah has 2 bottom teeth!

6 comments:

♥Shally said...

That is one of my favorite parts of that movie!

Good luck. :)

Ave said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Jo. I think that you have lots of opinions, you just don't think about them perhaps, otherwise you couldn't be a Glenn Beck fan.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have ALWAYS been a fan of you!

Kris said...

I haven't seen that movie but now I want to!

I agree, don't be too hard on yourself. You probably just haven't had a minute to remember all of the great things you like/think/do/are in the past, oh, ten years or so.

You are an amazing woman and very loved!

Anonymous said...

I think it is hard to know who you are when you've got so many people depending on you - kids, husband, friends. I know a lot of women who, after spending the past however-many-years raising kids end up not really knowing what they like or who they are, etc, because all they've done for those years is raise children.

Phae-Jae said...

Firsty...I LOVE that movie!

Secondy...I know what you are saying sister. I have struggled w/ the same things.

Here is a thought...take it or leave it...
Reread your post and imagine one of your children wrote it. How would you feel if they had the very struggle this very moment? Sorrow? Disbelief because you KNOW how wonderful they are?
Try and look at how you view your self through Heavenly Fathers eyes. Do you think he feel sorrow when we don't see what HE knows is true?
I don't know, it helps me. Having children and loving them the way I do helps me understand more clearly my worth.
Sorry to write a novel :)
Like I said, it's just something I have struggled with myself