Saturday, September 13, 2008

End of the Year Resolution

I set a new goal yesterday to talk with my sister, Donna everyday on the phone. That may not seem like a big deal, but for 2 people who don't talk a lot and hate to talk on the phone, it is a big deal. She lives in North Carolina with her family. The last few years we have let our relationship drift apart and it's time to pull us back together. It has been a long time since I have had a close friend that I have talked with everyday and I have been craving a friendship like that again. My sister is the perfect candidate. We may not see each other often, but by talking with each other everyday, we will get to know each other better. I am giddy about the fact that I now have our conversations to look forward to and I already feel less lonely. I am so happy that I acted on my desire to make the phone call yesterday and that I committed to calling my sister everyday. We are already connecting. Yesterday, I found out that her new husband, Doug's birthday is a few days after Matt's and they are both 44. This morning as I was watching Emily's soccer practice, we bonded as soccer moms. She was getting ready to take her daughter, Aly to her soccer game. After we hung up, it was fun to receive a call from Donna asking me about the hurricane in Texas. I was rushing out the door as Matt was getting on the internet to get an update, so I didn't have any news for her, but I'm glad she thought of me to ask. Zoe watched some videos this morning of the hurricane and her update for Donna was, "Texas is blowing." Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is being affected by Hurricane Ike.

P.S. Zoe had a soccer game this morning. Her team lost, but they all got a lot of playing time in and they had fun playing.

6 comments:

Phae-Jae said...

That is a GREAT commitment:)
I talk to my sister nearly every day, she is my best friend!

Kris said...

Your blog looks so cute! I love the new background. That is a great end of year resolution... I think September is a great time for goal setting and fresh starts and I hope you continue to enjoy!

Karrie said...

Is your sister a blogger?...if not get her to blog and then you get photos too...way to reconnect

Gabriela said...

that is great-it will be wonderful for both of you. I should follow your example with my sister.

Have a great week!

Dawn said...

Is your sister younger or older? It's ironic that you made this decision the day you saw pix of my sis and me - but I have to say, we don't talk every day or anywhere near it - we live in the same town and mostly talk at church. Sad, but true. Hopefully when she retires next year, we'll have more time to chat.

Janae said...

I love your end of year resolution:)
I talk to at least one of my sisters every other day almost. As stay at home moms we need those connections:)
love your new blog look!