Thursday, November 02, 2006

About Me

I'm starting a new series using my journal jar. I hesitate doing this because a lot of what I'll be writing about is my childhood and since I have the worst long-term memory in history, there just won't be a lot of detail. I think this is one reason why I am so good at keeping up with photo albums and scrapbooking (although the more children I have, the more behind I keep getting!) Pictures and keeping a record of what's going on in our family helps me to remember better. Sometimes Matt will be amazed at how well I can remember something we did several years ago, but it's usually because I had just read about it in my journal. So, we'll see how this goes...the first strip of paper asks: Did you have a bicycle? Yes (that was easy) What was it like?...well, it had a frame, two wheels, a seat, handle bars, and peddles! The older I got, the more speeds my bike would have. I can picture in my mind the photographs of me learning how to ride my bike. I remember falling as many children do as they learn to ride without training wheels. But I was persistent and became a successful bike rider, I even mastered the peddling with no hands...which we as parents of course discourage our children from doing! I loved riding my bike with two of my closest friends that lived on our road. I can picture the houses we would pass and the people who lived in them. Riding my bike in the summer was a favorite activity. I would ride my bike to the town next to ours to play baseball with one of my friends. I remember riding my bike down our road on Labor Day one year, sad that summer was ending and nervous about the first day of school coming the next morning. I'm glad I had a bike to ride and a place to ride it. I wish our children could do the same, but we have to pile their bikes in the car and go into town to ride, which means they don't get to ride them as often as they'd like to. But, we like where we live, so we'll just have to deal with it.

Zach is sitting on the table, turning the kitchen light on and off...my cue to get off the computer and get on with the day.

1 comment:

Kris said...

That is a relief that Eleanor is OK! I like the journal jar idea. Your bike stories were reminding of some of my own bike memories, like when Kimi and I tried to both ride my bike down the street and I ended up flying over the handlebars onto the street and cracking my collarbone. There's not a lot they can do about that, but it really hurt. The closest I've come to breaking a bone! I remember I didn't have to go to school the next day and I got to spend the day with Grandma & Grandpa E. Isn't it funny the details we remember, and the vast portions of our life we can't remember at all!?