Thursday, February 22, 2007

Vacation from vacation

I love surprising the kids, and Matt and I have a surprise for them this afternoon. I used most of the Christmas money I received to reserve two hotel rooms at a local Holiday Inn that has a pool and a hot tub. We are going to swim and relax all evening and tomorrow morning and I am looking forward to it! Zoe is trying to figure out what we're doing. She's a little stumped since I told her she could bring a movie. She mentioned going to a museum, but then she said you don't take movies to a museum.
Some reasons I like to keep fun things a surprise is so I'm not tempted to use the activity as a threat to get them to behave and if the activity doesn't happen it's not a big deal because they didn't know about it in the first place. Plus, surprises are just plain fun!

Zoe and Emily have been doing the breakfast and lunch dishes during this vacation which has been very nice. Emily washed the dishes this morning. Zach wanted some cereal after she washed the dishes and Emily said, "Mom! Give him a paper plate!" We gain a new perspective when we're the ones doing the work!

5 comments:

Kris said...

Have fun!!

Rachelle said...

Have a fun trip!

Phae-Jae said...

You are an awesome mom!

I'm surprising the older girls with Bridge to Terabithia (spelling?) this weekend.
I so want to tell them, but am keeping my mouth shut.

Kristen said...

That sounds like a great time! I agree with you on keeping surprises a secret until you're actually out the door and on the way!

Dawn said...

Ah, yes, perspective is everything!

I remember telling things that then didn't work out, so decided the surprise route is the best - and not even tell them there's a surprise coming!