Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The phone call

I was planning on a low-key afternoon today. I was getting ready to sit down with Eleanor and Zach to feast on some oreos when...the phone rings. A phone call can change your plans and life in an instant. It was the school nurse, never a good sign. Zoe has fallen in gym class.she's okay.but she broke her tooth.she should see her dentist today. The nurse was very sweet knowing I had just had a baby, she wondered if someone else could pick Zoe up, like my father since the nurse knows him. My dad was already at work and I really didn't mind picking Zoe up and taking her myself. Yes it would result in getting 3 kids ages 3 and under out the door on a moment's notice, but like I said to the nurse ~that's what happens when you have a lot of kids. As I was on the phone I gave Eleanor and Zach a cookie and hoped that would satisfy them until later, and it did. Kate had been sleeping for the past few hours in her carseat and was due to wake up at any time, that was not good timing. Zach refused to put his coat on so I picked him up and headed out the door~1 kid in the car, then I came back in and Eleanor was determined to wear mittens so I waited for her to put them on along with her coat and put her in the car~2 kids in the car, as I was walking back into the house I could hear Kate crying...I'm not surprised. I change her diaper, she has a blowout, I grab a new outfit and change her, then I feed her hoping that a little bit of milk is better than none...it works, she is quiet on the way to pick up Zoe. Zach fell asleep in the car while he was waiting for me to get Kate ready. Eleanor patiently waited for me and was happy to listen to our Barbie CD on the way to get Zoe. I pick up Zoe and head to the dentist, which is about 45 minutes away. I have had the same dentist since I was a kid and I have no desire to switch, but the ride seems like FOREVER when you want to be there NOW. Matt met me at the dentist office and took Zach with him to come home and then pick Emily up from basketball practice. That worked out very well, I'm glad he was available to help. Zoe had found the piece of her tooth that had broken off so the dentist glued the tooth back on...a temporary fix. It was a little wierd to have the son of my dentist (a kid a few years younger than me that I had grown up with at church) work on Zoe's tooth. I had no doubt that he was as skillful as his father though and he did a great job. A root canal was mentioned as a possible solution in the future, but they'll keep an eye on it and see what needs to be done. Zoe said it didn't hurt when she fell (they were playing tag in gym class and a boy knocked her down and she hit her mouth on the floor). She didn't realize her tooth was broken until she felt the hole with her tongue a few minutes later.
You can go to Matt's blog to see a before and after picture of Zoe's tooth.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

That was very traumatic!! She sounds like quite a trooper.

Thanks for stopping by the birthday celebration - did you get to read what his wife wrote? (Twenty-Eight Celsius). Really neat.

Kris said...

OK, maybe TOMORROW is the day you get a rest? It is fun to read your side and Matt's side of the same events. Zoe must be tough - like you!

Gabriela said...

Poor little thing! It looks great now though.

Congrats on your new little one. So cute! I can't wait to have mine!

Rachelle said...

Poor girl! She's a tough one!

Elozia Marie said...

Owch!

Phae-Jae said...

DON'T answer the phone today :)
I hope that she is doing okay, and that YOU get some real rest! Have you had a week since baby came to just be still?