Thursday, February 15, 2007

12 Days of Vacation

Tomorrow was supposed to be the start of a long school vacation for Zoe and Emily. But because of a snowstorm, their vacation started on Wednesday with a snow day. This morning when I checked to see if school had been cancelled again, our school system wasn't on the closed list, so I announced that there would be school today. I looked forward to a breather day before the real vacation began, and Zoe & Emily were excited to exchange Valentine's at school and have their parties. I was getting everyone chocolate milk when I happened to glance at the computer again and noticed that our school was now on the closed list. Drat. Let vacation begin!
These past two days haven't been too bad. Zoe and Emily played outside a lot yesterday in the snow. They tried to keep their sled trail packed down, so everytime they came inside to warm up, they would notice that the snow was covering their trail and they would head back outside. The frustrating part of this was getting Eleanor all bundled up to go outside with them...for five minutes and then she would come back inside.
It snowed throughout the night and it was snowing a tiny bit this morning, but by mid-morning the sun was out and it was a beautiful clear day. I think a school delay would have been more appropriate than closing for the entire day, but what do I know? I did talk with someone this evening that works in a different school system and she said the roads were terrible this morning...but that was around 7:30am...by 8:30am I bet the roads were better... anyway. The kids played well together today overall. I think the key to my survival during this vacation is to keep them busy with new activities and things. This morning I brought Zach's box into the living room and they played with his toys for a long time.
I know Zoe would like to go places and do things. Part of me wants the same thing, but then part of me just wants to stay home. I guess we'll take it day by day.

2 comments:

Doug said...

You can let them play "homeschoolers" for a while. Maybe Zoë will be such a good teacher that you won't send them back.

Dawn said...

This is exactly what happened to us at Christmas time - a very long extended vacation because of the blizzard. Not fun!! There were lots of unhappy parents.