Monday, January 22, 2007

My Life Monday is back!



Topic: Where I live and how I got there.

I have always lived in Maine. As a teenager, I was determined to leave Maine as soon as I could, but I guess that wasn't meant to be. I have lived in a few different towns in Maine, but I have mostly lived near the area I grew up. When I got pregnant with Zoe, Matt and I decided it was time to move out of an apartment and get a place of our own. After looking at some houses, we decided that the best thing for us at that time was to buy some land and buy a cheap house to put on it...leading us to our condemned trailer. It was a temporary plan...7 1/2 years ago. We didn't have a specific town we wanted to live in, it just needed to be 30 minutes or less from where Matt works. We looked at a few lots before we found our land in Uncle Henry's (a local swap or sell it guide). Matt fell in love with the land.

I liked the idea of living away from town, having plenty of space for the kids to play, and being surrounded by nature. We bought the land and moved our trailer here, but the trailer wasn't ready to be lived in yet.



We housesat for several months in a home nearby. We lived there when Zoe was born. Then we moved in with my parents for a few months before moving into our "new" home. Matt put a lot of work into the trailer. I'm thankful to have such a handy husband!





This is definitely not our dream home, but it is comfortable and we are making the best of it. Someday we plan to build a new home. But that is still in the future and right now we are getting our finances in order, which I think we are doing a good job at right now.

There are some things that are annoying about living in the woods. Lots of little critters have entered our home, there are no sidewalks along the road to walk on, I drive about 30 minutes to go shopping (we do have a grocery store and gas station 10 minutes away that I go to a lot, but most restaurants and chain stores take longer to get to), and most people at our church live 30 minutes to an hour away from us. These things aren't annoying enough to move though. We are here to stay.

Go to Rachelle's blog for more My Life Monday posts.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

That's a great story. Handy husbands are definitely, well...handy. :-)

My MLM is up, too. ;-)

Rachelle said...

Yay yay yay! thanks for participating. I love the pics of the progress on the trailer!

Dawn said...

Very interesting! There are definitely pros and cons to living in the country. But having your own land is a definite plus. Can't afford it out here!

Jane said...

I like that you two have the land that you love and are willing to work towards the home you want. That is a special gift!