Sunday, July 31, 2011

Preparing for a talk

Last Sunday, a counselor in the Branch Presidency asked me if I wanted to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting in August. My answer was no, I didn't want to give a talk and that he needed to rephrase the question. Then he asked the right question, which was would I give a talk. Then my answer was yes. Today, he gave me my topic and I have until August 21st to prepare. I have mixed feelings about that. I will have plenty of time to pray about my topic and to prepare, which will be nice, but it's too long to have it in the back of my mind.

My topic is found in the Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:23-25. Speaking of Adam & Eve...
"And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Feel free to give me input on these verses. :-)

I was in charge of the Nursery class today (ages 18 months - 3 years). Matt helped me out during the 2nd hour and then my Mom helped me out during the 3rd hour. The 2nd hour dragged on a bit, but the 3rd hour flew by. The kids got along great today and things went smoothly, so that was nice. Bo sat close to Noah during snack time, which I thought was so cute.



Zach's Primary class joined with Eleanor's Primary class today. Martha told me something sweet that Zach did during class. As part of the lesson, the kids took turns saying something nice about the child next to them. It was Zach's turn and he was to saying something nice about Eleanor. Martha was touched that Zach really thought about what he was going to say and then he said, "Eleanor always raises her hand during class and she is reverent during class." Martha said that what Zach said brought tears to her eyes because it was so sweet. It also brought tears to Brooklyn's eyes (Martha's daughter who was helping Martha out). It was nice to hear about this sweet act of Zach's and to also hear that Eleanor is good in class. :-)

1 comment:

MJ said...

My favorite part of those verses is the "for they knew no misery". It's true, though. I never knew misery like the fear of losing one of my kids, and of the empathy I feel for people who HAVE lost their children.

I think that it's interesting that he lists all the opposites, and then says that we are that we might have JOY. It doesn't say that we are so that we might know misery.

Too often, especially when I was younger, I caved to the pity party. I wallowed in what I didn't have, and had a difficult time focusing on what I DID have, and the good that was in my life.

Now I'm better at it, though not remotely perfect, but it's taken a lot of practice to recognize the good that is in my life, and to hold out until I see the good that is in my life when everything looks dreary.

Take my husband not getting into medical school. He has the grades, and did well on the MCAT, and scored an interview almost immediately. Not only that, but he had a wicked cold the day before the interview, but was blessed to not be sick the day of, until he got in the car on the way home. He didn't have to take any drugs; he was fully present for the interview, and honestly, he felt really good about it.

And he didn't get in.

We were so bummed, but then the house we just bought came up for sale, and we wouldn't have bought it had he been in medical school this year. We wouldn't have been able to. We'd be moving every year or two for the next however long.

And he's applying to medical school again, but feels more prepared. He was able to shadow a doctor, and he's taking an MCAT course to help him get an even better score (he did well, but wants to do better), and has a better idea of what is asked during the interview, and what his answers are.

Just hoping there isn't more bad stuff for us to look for the blessings in, :)