Monday, February 01, 2010

Responsibility

The kids have each been assigned a room to be responsible for this week. When it is cleanup time, they go to the room they are responsible for and they make it neat and tidy. This began last night after family council. Kate is responsible for the kitchen (with my help). She was so excited to pick up the toys in the kitchen and put them away last night. I'm sure the fun of it will wear off, but her enthusiasm was encouraging. The kids like having a specific room to take care of for several reasons 1)Everyone has a responsibility, so the younger kids are expected to help out along with the older kids 2) The chore ends when the room is clean 3) They are able to work at their own pace and 4) They know exactly what their responsibility will be for every day this week. We'll evaluate how this all works out next Sunday during family council.

5 comments:

Mal said...

We had a room we were responsible for cleaning every Saturday, and a checklist that went along with it. A few months ago I was lunching with a friend of mine and she said her dad could be a little over-the-top with his cleaning rules, etc. I asked, "like how?" and she said, "Oh, he went so far as to make LISTS for us!" and was just shocked at the idea.

Six words: my apartment=clean; her apartment=dirty.

Kris said...

Let us know how this works! I have wondered about trying this system... my worry is people messing up other people's rooms (if that made any sense)?

Doug said...

People messing up other people's rooms is a problem, at least at our house.

But, I figure (and often tell the kids) that cleaning up messes you didn't make is great practice for real life.

Martie said...

Hurray! We do this too and I LOVE it! I hope it continues to work well for you.

Janae said...

We do this at our house, as well as with rotating kitchen jobs. I have to say it does work better than anything else I have found. I hope you guys have good success with it:)