Sunday, February 28, 2010

It wasn't our day to die

Being in the temple yesterday was as wonderful as ever. Thank you for all the kind comments supporting my decision to spend the day at the temple.

The weather yesterday was quite strange. It would be rainy...and then snowing...and then blue skies...then a mix of rain and snow...rain...snow...blue skies...etc. We were on route 3 heading to Augusta when it started to snow and the road was getting slippery. My dad was driving when the car started to spin. He gained control and we continued. Then the car started to spin again and he gained control again. Hmmmm we all silently wondered...maybe this was not the best day to drive to the temple...but we continued on. The snow turned to rain and the rest of the drive to the temple was uneventful (except for the fact that we were a bit shaken up from almost going off the road). The weather switched from rain, mix, and blue skies the rest of the way to the temple. It was really bizarre when we would go through a sunny patch and I would get the windshield all cleaned off and then it would start snowing/raining. It seemed like it was literally snowing/raining out of the blue.

The drive home had less blue skies and more snow, rain, and mix. We made it back into Maine (the temple is in Belmont, Massachusetts) and we were looking forward to stopping at Norm's to eat. We were cruising along the interstate in the middle lane and drawing near to Portland when we went into a spin. We spun a few times as we headed for the guard rail protecting us from the median. My dad almost had control of the car when we crashed into the guard rail. We then crossed over 3 lanes of traffic to the other side of the road, miraculously not hitting any cars, and parked on the side of the road. We were all physically okay, but of course we were shaken up. My mom's car suffered the most damage. We waited for the policeman to arrive and when he did, my dad gave him the information he needed. The policeman estimated $5000 worth of damage to the front driver's side of the car. We weren't sure if the car would still get us home, so we were encouraged to drive to the next exit and get off if the car was not running right. The car drove fine except for some scraping on the tire, which my dad checked out and saw no damage being done to the tire, so we continued on. We drove home with one headlight. Norm's wasn't that far away and we were still hungry, so we stopped to eat. As we ate, the rain turned into snow, it turned dark, and we all dreaded the rest of the drive home. We didn't get far on our adventure again when the light snow turned into heavy snow. This was definitely not "snow showers"! More like a blizzard. We were all so tense and silent and we were close to pulling off at the next exit to get a hotel room when the snow turned back into rain. It took forever to get home, but we finally made it. Home Sweet Home.

My mom has been saying for awhile now that her car does not do well in the snow. I declare that her car SUCKS in the snow! I would be trading that car in if it were mine.

5 comments:

Kris said...

That is so scary!! I'm so glad you are all OK and you had a good day in the temple.

And your new calling sounds fun - I hope you don't have to do two callings for very long... I'm sure the kids will love having you back in Primary.

Janae said...

This was one intense drive to and from the temple! I am glad that you guys were watched over in your travels and that no one was hurt!

Martie said...

I am so glad you all are okay! I HATE winter driving. When my Christi drives here to visit from college, it makes me so tense.

I hope the car repairs are not that high. What a nightmare!

Doug said...

Wow! I am glad everyone is alright, and I hope that your mom will be on the road again soon—but in a more snow-worthy vehicle.

mindyluwho said...

Oh my goodness. How scary! I'm so glad no one was hurt.