Monday, March 26, 2007

How embarrassing


I have two week's worth of My Life Monday for you. Last week's topic was to share an embarrassing moment. When I read this topic, I immediately thought of something that happened to me in college. I was taking a class and a girl that went to the same high school as me was in the same college class (she graduated a year ahead of me). I didn't know her well. I knew her first name and that she had won some contest. We sat by each other in this college class and we were developing a friendship. During this class, we had an in-class assignment to introduce the person to our left and tell something about that person. This girl was on my left and at that moment her name slipped my mind, I could not think of her name! I didn't want to ask her what her name was, how embarrassing, but I had to because I needed to know to introduce her. When I asked her what her name was she laughed like I was joking, but then she saw the serious look on my face and asked, "Are you serious"??? Yes, I was...and our friendship just wasn't the same after that. I can't remember her name now!
This experience did allow me to easily forgive the sister at my baby shower a few weeks ago who was saying a blessing on the refreshments and she couldn't think of MY name...she has only known me for 8 years!...but she easily remembered the other Mom's name who she has only known for a short while. It happens.

This week's topic is to share my personal philosophy about something. I've been thinking about raising children, since that is what I do. I am not perfect at it, I find it hard and challenging everyday, but here are a few things that have worked...most of the time.

Bedtime: A consistent routine is a must. Our routine includes getting pajamas on, potty/diaper change, brush teeth, clean up (Zoe & Emily), pick outfits for school (Zoe & Emily), 1 bedtime story, scriptures (we read the stories written for children), and family prayer (we have all the children say a prayer to make sure they are praying daily and Matt and I take turns).
When the children are put in bed, they are expected to stay in their room with the lights off. I don't care if they play or read, I just want them in their room. Matt tolerates them playing less than I do. We have a board that we put up to keep Eleanor in the bedroom when she comes into the living room after we put her to bed (Our bedrooms don't have doors). The board is high enough that the kids can't climb over it, but it doesn't cover the entire doorway so they can see out and we can see in. This is the same board we used for Zoe when she was younger. Zoe used to make a huge mess in her room, but it was worth it to me to have time to myself and with Matt after 7pm.

Meals: My children eat a lot, but they don't eat a lot at mealtimes, and that's okay. Children snack, especially younger children. It is rare for us to have junk food in the house, so my children can eat whatever they want, whenever they want throughout the day. I think children eat better when they are hungry, so I let them eat when they feel the need to eat. As I write this, Zach and Eleanor are eating bananas. Now don't get the wrong impression that my children are super healthy eaters all the time because my Mom keeps them well fed in the sweets department!
When I make a big meal for dinner, that is it, I don't make anything else to please any of the children. The children are expected to eat what's on the table or get something else themselves. Eleanor is always the first one done, eating next to nothing, but I know she's not starving so I don't stress about it. I think kids try more foods and eat better at mealtime as they get older.

2 comments:

Phae-Jae said...

I too believe in being consistent at (bedtime during the school year) we are a little more flexible during summer, they often crash on the living room floor slumber party style watching a movie.
I like how you make sure they each are praying daily, something for me too think about. We stress that our girls say personal prayers, but it would probably be better taught if we are hearing them say their prayers. Thanks!

Janae said...

We have also tried to have a really good routine for bedtime. It has worked well for us until....the Vivi!