Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A big part of me


A little late again, but better than never, right?
The topic this week is to tell about a side of myself that people might not know about. Some of you may know, but some of you may not know that church is a huge part of my life. As my sister-in-law, Janae writes on her blog that her life revolves around her family, church, and the treadmill...well my life revolves around my family, church, and aerobics. I have a calling at church...a position or assignment in which LDS Church members have been asked to serve or perform a specific duty. I LOVE having a calling. Right now I am serving as the 1st Counselor in the Primary Presidency. Children ages 3 through 11 are enrolled in Primary. Children ages 18 months through 2 years are enrolled in the nursery class, which the Primary Presidency is over as well. I love to think about my calling and talk about it. I was talking with the Primary President on the phone one time and I was going on and on and on about ideas and things going on in Primary and she stopped me and said, "I thought you didn't like to talk on the phone!"...I don't, but I get talking about Primary and I can't stop. One of my challenges as a counselor is to suppress my desire to plan everything and do everything. I often wonder if I was Young Women's President for almost 5 years because the Lord was waiting for me to learn how to delegate, but then finally gave up on me. I love to go through the Primary handbook to see what can be improved in our Primary. Not only do I want to do everything we're supposed to be doing in Primary, but I want to do everything by the book, do it right. On Sunday afternoon/evening, I often think about Primary and plan for the next Sunday's Primary. During the week I work on what I have planned...although this too often gets put off until Saturday evening. I enjoy going to Stake ( Stake means a designated geographic area of inhabitants. A stake is divided into wards and branches.) meetings to get new ideas and to gain new perspective on things in my calling. It is a rare Sunday for me not to be at church. I like being there and I like serving in my calling. I was reminded in our last Stake meeting that callings are not just about going by the book, we need to be focusing on the individuals within our organizations...something I'm not so good at, but I'm working on it.
P.S. It's fun to wonder what my next calling will be :-)

3 comments:

Kris said...

I agree, it is fun to have a "job" and I get caught up in it too. I especially love getting to know the people so well that I have served in callings with - some of my closest friends now.

Phae-Jae said...

That was uplifting to me. I've served (and loved) in the Primary Pres for a number of years. I have been serving for the first time EVER in RS, it has been a nice break. The break has ended, sniff, as I've just been called back to primary. Your post came at a good time. Reminding me how much I do love Primary. This time around I am a teacher.

PS It's a comfort to moms like me, knowing how much people like YOU love to serve.

Janae said...

Joey, I love to see your energy for primary! The kids need that from their leaders...we all need to focus on that kind of energy for our callings:)