Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tea Time

When I sat down with my kids at a table this morning for the Doll's Day Tea Party at a local library, the Mom next to me asked sincerely, "Are these children all yours?" When I replied yes, she complimented me on how organized I was...due to nervous children in a new situation being good. I assured her that getting ready for the Tea Party was anything but organized. Our house looked like a tornado had gone through it when we left...looking similar to a typical Sunday morning. I didn't bother to mention my thought as I was forcing Zach into his carseat so we could leave...we're going to this tea party and we're going to have fun dammit. Then a few minutes later when we were on our way and Kate was crying...like she had been for the past 45 minutes...Zoe says, "I liked it when Kate was in the hospital, she slept all the time. I'm glad we appeared on the ball to others. Although the lady checking out our books probably had doubts when Zach tried to leave the library with a book that wasn't checked out, and the person waiting for us to cross the street had to wait a second longer while I picked up the same book when Zach dropped it in the middle of the crosswalk.




A guest lady who collects dolls showed us a doll and a collection of clothes that she had won in a raffle. She bought one ticket for a quarter and won. There was a real fur coat for the doll and there was a dress with mink around the edges. The children tolerated the doll show and then they enjoyed "tea", muffins/bread, and cookies. When the lady in charge announced at the beginning that we would listen to the lady and then have tea, Zoe gave me a nervous look like we don't drink tea and for a brief moment I wondered if they would actually serve tea, but then another lady set a pitcher of chocolate milk on the serving table. The choices were apple juice or chocolate milk. This was the highlight of the party. After eating we paraded around the library and outside a bit so the kids could show off their dolls and their attire. We saw Zoe's 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Simko as we walked around. When we got back to the room, they had a drawing for a tea set, but none of my kids won it, which is probably for the best since there would have been complaining from the non-winning kids. Poor Emily didn't win a prize yesterday at her beach party and Zoe did, so I'm glad that wasn't repeated. Zach sat like a big boy through all of this. He really liked the flowers in the middle of our table. He would touch them and say flowers over and over again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had a girls night out last night. Jenn, Andrea, and I (and Kate, too) watched "Because I said so" at Jenn's house. I had a fun time with the gals :-)

4 comments:

Janae said...

What a fun outing you guys had! I loved your thought as you were getting Zach into his car seat. I think each of us, trying to get a toddler in a car seat, must have had that thought at least a few thousand times:)

Kris said...

That does look fun, & hopefully it was worth the work! I'm glad you got a fun night out.

dawnae said...

Oh I just love girls night out...it has been way to long since I had one....

I hate getting ready for something that you have to be there at a specific time....for some reason it becomes so stressful....I become this awful scary mom yelling get in the car...we are leaving now....leave your toast we are leaving....well you get the picture!

momofalltrades said...

How cute! Good thing you never can tell what is behind the calm and good behavior...right? LOL Good reason to never compare yourself to others, isn't it? I'm always so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble getting it together to leave the house. (I have to confess, I once got everyone ready and was so frustrated and teed off by the time we got in the car I just looked at my sad little children's faces, took them out of the car and snuggled with them the rest of the afternoon. I decided then and there that getting to church on time was not worth making everyone miserable. Most days we pull things together, but every once in a while I just have to realize it isn't the end of the world if we don't.)