Saturday, August 19, 2006

Playing, organizing, and teaching

Zoe and I had the opportunity to volunteer at a local theater last night and then we stayed to watch the play "Fiddler on the Roof". I collected tickets with another lady and we let the people know which side of the theater they would be sitting. Zoe handed out programs with a friend. It was worth working half an hour before the play to watch it for free, plus get free popcorn, candy, and drinks. The play was fun to watch, especially since I knew two people in the show. Zoe enjoyed it as well. I had done volunteer work at this theater before with our church youth group, but that was when I was pregnant with Emily, so it has been awhile. I hope to do it again soon.

I started and finished Zoe's first grade scrapbook today. I save papers that I want to put in her scrapbook throughout the school year and today I put the papers in plastic covers and put them in a 3 ring binder. Now she can start second grade and Emily can start kindergarten without me stressing that I still need to organize things from last year. Yay!

Emily and I had an interesting conversation today about marriage. It started out by talking about houses. She asked how we got our house, so I told her that Matt and I bought it, and I said that she and her husband could pick out a house someday. In a disgusted voice she tells me that she is NOT in love with anyone. But then she was curious how people decide to marry each other and she asked about me and Matt. I told her that we met at church, Matt asked me out and we saw a movie, we had fun so we spent more time together, and we liked spending time together and liked each other, so we got married. Then Emily got concerned and asked, "But what if the boy likes me, but I don't like him." I told her she didn't have to marry anyone she didn't like and she announced that she would NOT marry someone she didn't like. Then she wondered how she would meet someone to marry. I told her they could meet just about anywhere, and I mentioned that maybe a friend of hers would introduce her to someone, and I named a few friends of hers at church. She told me that she would get married before a certain friend at church because her friend only comes up to Emily's neck, and then another friend only comes up to her forehead, so she wouldn't get married before Emily either. I told her that her friend that comes up to her forehead is older than her, so her friend might get married before her, and then Emily said that Zoe would get married first. I of course then took the opportunity to talk about marrying in the temple and she would need to find someone of our faith to marry if she wanted to marry in the temple. It was good that Zoe was listening as well. It's nice when these teaching moments come up in a conversation :-)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I love those teaching moments, too!

Gabriela said...

I love it too when those moments just come up and it's not forced at all. Your kids sound so cute. When are you due?

Unknown said...

I'm due January 26th.