Saturday, August 26, 2006

Camping with dad

Matt, Zoe, and Emily went on a canoe/camping trip last night. Emily wasn't planning on going, but Matt and I decided she would have fun if she went, so we packed her things and at the last minute when she was holding onto the canoe for Matt while he was loading it, I said goodbye to her and told her she was going. She cried, screaming that she didn't want to go, but when I saw her this morning she said, "I didn't like it, I LOVED it!"...which I guess is what Matt told her to tell me, but she really did mean it. I dropped them off yesterday around 5pm and they canoed to their "secret hideout" which is about an hour away. According to Matt, Zoe and Emily set up their own tent. He would show them what to do and then he would take it apart for them to do. They ate dinner and then they roasted marshmallows for a treat.
Emily said the boring part of the trip was waiting for Matt to pack up this morning.
Zoe and Emily love the movie "Parent Trap" (both old and new versions), so I think as in the movie, the father/daughter campout before school starts has officially become a tradition for them.

4 comments:

Nettie said...

How fun! I'm jealous. I didn't get to go camping once this year. And how fun to do it in a canoe. That is definitely a tradition that'll make memories!

Cindy said...

That's so great for your girls and Matt, too!

Lei said...

We so miss being in a "camp-able" area! Looks like it was a fabulous outing.

Ashley Lasbury said...

I love it! I have a reluctant child too. She screams bloody murder whenever she is forced out of her comfort zone but always returns having had the best time. Sometimes we need to kick the chicks out of the nest.