Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Observing

I went on a field trip with Zoe this afternoon to our local library and post office. I learned two things...Zoe's classmates call her ZoZo, and she has a boy classmate that has a girlfriend...the same boy who wanted to be Zoe's partner during the field trip. When Zoe said no to the boy, I felt kind of bad for the kid who was just rejected by my daughter, but my feelings quickly changed when I saw the same boy holding hands with another girl at the library. I couldn't believe it. They are in 1st grade...they are too young to start noticing the opposite sex, aren't they?
On the schoolbus heading back to the school, another boy was talking to the boyfriend/girlfriend pair and he was telling the boy that he was so lucky to have a girlfriend...what?! you guys are 7!!! The boy then asked the girl in the boyfriend/girlfriend pair why she was with a short boy like him(the boyfriend...who is a head shorter than Zoe) when she could be with a tall boy like him...oh brother...I guess the "you're not dating until you move out of the house and go to college" talk will be sooner than I thought.

6 comments:

Nettie said...

Amazing isn't it? I don't think its changed too much from when I was a kid, though. I remember slapping a boy who came up and kissed me on the playground in 1st grade!

JD said...

That is so funny. We used to "go out" and that was really big. It meant you were steady- or just never talking to one another ever.

JD said...

Oh yeah I tagged you on my site
http://shutupnoway.blogsome.com

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

I had my first "boyfriend" in preschool. We held hands occasionally, wrote those awesome "check 'yes' or 'no'" notes, and that's about it. I'm loling at the conversation you observed, though! "What's a nice girl like you doing with a short guy like this" too funny!

Rachelle said...

they grow up way too fast. Way too fast these days!

Alicia said...

That's it, I'm locking mine up.