Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 1 of summer vacation

Our first day of summer vacation went well. I got up at my usual time, 5:30am to shower, say my prayer, and do my spiritual reading for the day. Kate woke up a little after 6am, so we cuddled while I read and she drank her chocolate milk. I'm going to enjoy getting my reading done first thing in the morning this summer.

During Family Council on Sunday, we talked about what was expected of the children during summer vacation. They have a morning routine of watching a movie, eating breakfast, getting dressed, brushing their hair, brushing their teeth, putting away their pajamas, putting away their beds, saying their prayers, cleaning up their areas, and doing a brief school review before free time. They will take turns putting away dishes and washing dishes after lunch. The afternoons will be spent doing something fun, hopefully away from home. When we get back from Utah, we'll spend most afternoons at the pool. Rainy days will be harder to get out, but we'll plan special things to do inside at home those days. We stuck to our morning routine today, dishes were done by Emily & Eleanor, and we went to the park this afternoon. A great start!

Zoe watched the kids for me before we went to the park while I got my hair cut and stopped at the grocery store. My hair looks basically the same, one length and about shoulder length, but I wanted my hair trimmed before our family picture (which will include all of Matt's family) that will be taken in Utah. I toyed with the idea of changing my hairstyle with a chin length summer cut, but I chickened out. Since Zoe watched the kids for me today, I told her she could stay up as late as she wants tonight. We played a game of Phase 10 after the kids went to bed and then she got on the computer until I kicked her off to blog. Now she is reading.

We went to the park across from Matt's work, so Matt came over to visit us. That was nice since he worked late this evening.

Noah was so funny at the park today. His shorts kept falling down when he would run and he learned how to hike them back up by himself. He only did it himself a few times, though before he would just waddle over to me so I would pull them back up. He needs to grow a waist or a butt! It was also cute to hear him say "That hurt" when he would bump his head or something.

3 comments:

Courtney @ Ordinary Happily Ever After said...

sounds like the start of a great Summer! Have fun! When are you going to Utah?

Kris said...

That sounds like a great routine! I love the freedom of summer vacation.

We can't wait, 5 more days!!!

mindyluwho said...

I love your summer routine. I have been sick this last week so haven't been able to work up a routine yet, but am in definite need of one. My idea is to get up early as well, around 5:30 and read my scriptures and then exercise. I always feel so much more productive in my day if I do that.