Friday, October 07, 2011

CRAZY Week

Tuesday evening, Emily & I met with her teacher, Mrs. Raymond for a parent/teacher conference. Emily is doing well in school, as usual. Her teacher is very nice and her looks remind me of Emily's Grandma. I've been told that Mrs. Raymond has a walk in closet and she wears a different outfit to school every day. It is exciting for Emily and her classmates to see what their teacher will be wearing! When Emily missed a day of school a few weeks ago, one of the things she missed was seeing what Mrs. Raymond was wearing that day. Emily got the details the next day from Cassidy. :-) Anyway, back to Emily. From the testing that has been done so far this year, she has improved in math, language arts, and reading since the end of 4th grade. Yay Emily! Mrs. Raymond will encourage Emily to read a variety of book genres throughout the year, which I am happy about. Emily loves to read fantasy and if she had it her way, she would only read fantasy. Mrs. Raymond is encouraging Emily to choose historical fiction after she finishes the fantasy book she is currently reading. Emily is not liking this plan, but I'm sure she will go along with it. Emily is a fast reader, but knowing what is ahead, she'll probably read as slow as she can now! Only a handful of kids are taking band this year in Emily's class, so when Emily goes to her band lesson, the rest of her class will continue with their math/science/social studies lesson (whatever they are working on), so Emily will have to make that work up or have an excused missed assignment. Mrs. Raymond doesn't think that Emily will have a problem with this, but we will evaluate at our next conference. Emily has adjusted well to middle school and I think she is going to have a great 5th grade year!

I have been to Ellsworth 4 times this week and I'll be there again tomorrow. I went on Monday to pick up Emily's saxophone, on Tuesday with Emily, Zoe, & my Mom to bring Zoe to her Joint Youth Activity at the bowling center, and twice on Wednesday for a Primary Presidency meeting in the morning and Cub Scouts in the evening. I am covering for the wolf leader this month since she is away. We only have 3 boys in that pack, so it's not too crazy. I'm taking the younger kids tomorrow to the church to clean after soccer.

My Mom, Zoe, Emily, & I ate at Friendly's Tuesday night. Friendly's is known for their slow service, so we didn't think anything was abnormal as we sat and talked while we waited for our food. The waitress came to apologize to us after awhile because the cooks didn't see our order, so they were late getting it started. When the waitress left, we laughed because we hadn't noticed that we had been waiting for a long time. We were talking and laughing and hadn't noticed the time. Zoe was on a roll telling us jokes. She has read the joke books that we have so much that she has memorized A LOT of the jokes. She cracked us up when she asked us to pick a category and she would tell us a joke. That's when I realized that she is a walking, talking joke book! Our bill was 1/2 of what it should have been because of the wait. Sweet!

My Mom went to Zoe's soccer game in Dedham Wednesday night. It was MISERABLE...so I hear. It was cold, it rained, it hailed, it was FREEZING! My Mom was able to watch the game from her car, but poor Zoe had to play in that messy weather. I went to some of Zoe's home game yesterday, which I thought was cold, but Zoe said yesterday was nothing compared to Wednesday's game! Zoe's team is going to meet at the Girls' Varsity High School Soccer Homecoming game this afternoon. Zoe is looking forward to it!

I just got a call from the secretary at Eleanor's school telling me that Eleanor fell from the monkey bars and had a bloody nose. Maybe my kids should stay inside for recess!

2 comments:

Gabriela said...

Wow-you are still busy as ever! sounds like you're all doing well.

I just sat through a rainy soccer double header-your mom was smart to watch from the car. :)

Julio is playing saxaphone this year, too. And he's using my old one-so it worked out perfectly-those things are expensive. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Have a great weekend!

Kris said...

That is a busy week, but sounds fun - I'm glad everyone is healthy again and doing well.

Leif fell (he says he jumped) from the monkey bars a few weeks ago and broke his arm... I hear you!