Thursday, September 02, 2010

Game On!

I started a diet game called Game On! yesterday with a group of friends. You can learn more about the game here. The point of the game is to help us live a healthier lifestyle. We will play the game for 4 weeks.

The game requires us to eat 5 small meals a day. 5 meals with no sugar, white flour, butter, or any ingredient that will make food taste super yummy. We get 1 meal off a week and 1 day off a week, so knowing that helps me endure the healthy food. :-) Getting to eat 100 calories a day of whatever I want helps too.

The official rules require drinking 3 liters of water a day, but our group has decided to drink 2 liters. I'm drinking 3 because I like to go by the book. I tend to not drink a lot of water normally because I hate having to pee all the time. It is so annoying!

The game requires 20 minutes of exercise a day. I am enjoying this part right now because as of yesterday, I am walking again. I love to walk and I'm not sure why I got out of the habit. My new routine is to get up at 5:30am and walk. The weather is so beautiful right now and the walk is so peaceful. I will do a light row when the weather is bad.

The game requires to work on a new healthy habit every day. I have gotten out of the habit of reading a conference talk a day, so I am working on that habit again.

The game requires us to get rid of a bad habit. I know a lot of people are not going to believe me when I say this, but I have a bad habit of yelling at my kids when I'm home alone with them. I did a test run the day before we started the game and failed as the yelling came without a thought out of my mouth when a bowl full of cereal and milk got spilled on the floor, but I didn't yell at all yesterday. :-)

The game requires getting 7 hours of sleep a night. I love to sleep! Getting to bed 7 hours before getting up is the challenge. I have been getting on the computer before bed to blog, which then turns into checking other blogs, checking e-mail, and getting on Facebook. I know it is a recipe for failure to get to bed on time if I get on the computer before bed, so I am getting on the computer during the day. This is easier to do with only Kate and Noah here at home with me.

We earn points when we keep in touch with our teammates and opposing team members every day. These are easy points to earn since we have continuous e-mails going back and forth.

The game is all about the points, not the food. We earn points for doing all of these things and we lose points when we fail to do these things. So far, this has been a fun way to get back to losing weight and living a healthy life. :-)

1 comment:

Kris said...

Wow, that sounds hard (some parts more than others... like the no sugar part!) but good too. Good luck! You are so good at setting goals.