Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gearing up for Thursday

So, we lost our game this evening, which means we have to win Thursday to make it to the championship game on Saturday. I made some coaching decisions tonight that I'm not sure were the best, but I'm not sure that I would change them if we had the chance to play the game over again. I'm torn between being super competitive and making decisions that would guarantee a win and remembering that I am coaching at a recreational level, which means making decisions that will allow all of the girls to gain experience, learn, improve, and to have fun. Losing isn't fun, though. It's not fun when you know things could have gone better and you could have won.

I am definitely learning a lot this season, and I have gained experience and wisdom just from this evening. We play a tough team on Thursday. The girls are expecting to lose. It's going to take a lot of positive talking and rallying to convince them otherwise. Hopefully, I'll be able to get them excited about Thursday's game tomorrow at practice. I need to work on myself first, though.

3 comments:

Mal said...

It's always hard when your team already expects to lose. I played a few basketball games like that in high school. It seemed like I was the only one trying to think positively (which is, ironically, negative thinking) but one player can't win a game.

Kris said...

Bummer that you lost... I hope you are feeling better! Maybe the other team will be over-confident and that will be their undoing?? As long as you all have fun, that's what matters!

Matt said...

I know you will have the Eye of the TIGER!