Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Oh my gayness

I was listening to Dr. Laura today when a Mormon guy called in...who is gay. He wanted to start a relationship with another guy, but was hesitant because he didn't want to hurt his family, and it's not acceptable in the Mormon faith. Dr. Laura suggested that maybe he should switch to a religion that was accepting of gays, but the guy stated that he believed the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was where he belonged. I'm wondering if he can really have a testimony that the church is true and still want to go against Heavenly Father's will for a man to be with a woman. He had mentioned that his Bishop and other people, including family had counseled him that he could learn to want to be with a woman, but he seemed pretty determined to be with a man. I feel for his mom and dad, who have 10 children by the way.

Not long after listening to this call on the radio, I went into the grocery store to pick up a few things. Several guys walked in before me who looked quite gay to me...judgemental?...somethings are just obvious. They happened to be in front of me at the checkout and I looked down at one of the men's feet and his toenails were painted white. Yeah, just as I suspected. Does your hubby walk around with painted toenails???

Why am I telling you this? Because it's on my mind, and it's time to blog. Maybe I'll have something more exciting to talk about tomorrow.
I did find it funny today when Zoe, our 7 year old, asked Eleanor, our 3 year old, how to play a certain game on the computer.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

We were reading and discussing "The Family Proclamation" to the kids during FHE. And we came to the part about how marriage is sacred between a man and a woman and we discussed what that means. At one point Myshel said that it means that two women or two men shouldn't be marriaged and Vance's response was, "you mean a man would want to be married to another man? Why?" I never thought I'd have to have that discussion during FHE. The world is changing so much. It's scary!

Blackeyedsue said...

Wow. That is a sad story. I had a friend that "came out" when I was working for my now stake pres. and I had a hard time with it. He brought up that maybe some people are really born with that tendency, it is what they do with it that counts. Staying single may have been an option for that young man.

I hate it that we have to discuss this with our dd already due to the female "room mates" that live on the corner. The world HAS changed so much since we were little. It makes me sad.

momofalltrades said...

Judgemental? Nah. Sometimes, all I can do is laugh to keep from crying about the state of things. So don't think I'm a big ol' mean goober or anything, but when we were in Moab, UT coming back from my MIL burial, we went into a Pizza Hut for lunch. We walked past a table of young men and got all 9 of the children seated. Well, on our way in, D noticed the guys and decided to go put in her contacts. ;O) Well, once she did, it became apparant that these particular young men were batting for the home team. When they went to the jukebox, my super sweet 16 yo SD, D, leaned over and said, "What do you want to bet they play 'Dancing Queen'?" I could *not* have laughed harder. I don't think it's funny that people struggle with same sex feelings at all, that is a sad, private struggle that I wouldn't wish on anyone. What I do think is funny and ridiculous, is the flagrant dress and mannerisms that these poor people adopt. I so wished I had a camera that day and a way to take a discreet picture. Sometimes you've just got to shake your head and wonder.