Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Conference Overview

Sunday, October 4th: I heard some of the talks during conference this weekend. Usually, our kids are really good during the Saturday sessions and then they are wild on Sunday, but this weekend they were wild both days! Here are some things that stuck after conference was over...

*AIM HIGH ~ I want to stretch myself as well as encourage my class to stretch themselves in the gospel. There is always room for improvement.

*I need to make sure that I am telling and showing my family that I love them.

*We are on the right track of being consistent with family prayer, family scripture study, and Family Home Evening. It was encouraging to hear an apostle speak of his own challenges with his children as they had prayers, scripture study, and FHE. Zoe and Emily remember this part of the talk as well and thought it was so funny when Elder Bednar repeated what his sons would say about a sibling like, "He's breathing my air!". We all laughed at that...it hit close to home.

*I noticed that the theme of love and the love of God was spoken of often.

*I remember something along the lines of economic hardships force us to hearken to the voice of the Lord. I'll have to research this line when the conference edition of the Ensign comes out next month. I have a great desire to study these conference talks a lot in the next 6 months. We're going to add a conference moment to our FHE and we're also going to add a closing prayer, so we'll all be participating in FHE now. Noah and Kate will have to grow into their responsibilities.

The atmosphere around us during conference was chaotic and loud, but we watched all sessions of conference and I did get something out of each session. I have hope in consistency.

Monday, October 5th: Monday was a Monday. Nothing too exciting. Laundry, getting the house picked up from the weekend, and getting ready for FHE. It is nice that Monday is one of the few days that we gather as a family for dinner. We used some of the time together to talk about what we learned during conference. For our FHE lesson, Matt had us identify branches and leaves. I know my Maple, Oak, and Birch.

Tuesday, October 6th: The younger kids and I went to playgroup.
Emily hurt her toe in the evening and needed a band-aid, so I dug out one of our many WCF (Workers Compensation Fund of Utah) kits. Zoe made a comment that we have a lot of WCF kits around, which was funny to me because I had the same thought, but I am grateful that we do! Every now and then when I need a band-aid and we are out of band-aids, I know that I can get one of these kits and find a band-aid. Thank you, Steve!

I finished reading "breaking dawn" while Matt was working late. I think you should read it, Kris!

Today: It was a rainy day and Kate has a cold, so we didn't go to storytime. We had a nice day at home. Noah likes to get up on the table now, so I started pulling the chairs away from the table today. He is also insisting on feeding himself with a spoon, so he is very happy when I give him a mess-free snack in a bowl like dry cheerios and raisins that he can scoop out with a spoon.

Emily went over to Daisy's grandmother's house after school with her friend, Daisy. We were going to meet Emily and Daisy at soccer practice, but it was raining, so Daisy's grandmother brought Emily home this evening. I haven't seen Emily since this morning. :-(

I went to the PTO meeting this evening. I'm still not sure why I'm drawn to the PTO, but I am. I volunteered to make some phone calls to schedule the volunteers who will help distribute the items from a fundraiser we just did. I'm also going to meet with the librarian in a few weeks to learn how I can help in the library. I'll go to the school several evenings during each month to help reshelf books and whatever else needs to be done. I'm looking forward to the quiet time in the library!

I am now at my parents' house to update here. My mom and I played a game of Phase 10 first, though. I need to get home and go to bed!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I need to check out that game you and your mom always play.

I'm coming to Maine the second week-end of November, but don't know how much traveling I'll be able to do. It would be fun to meet somehow!

Kris said...

If I can ever finish the book I am on now (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - I have never read it! I love it but it is taking me a long time. Maybe because I never read...) Anyway when I finish that I think I will have to read Breaking Dawn. Apparently New Moon comes out (the movie) next month so that would get me back in the Twilight frame of mind...

I'm glad you had a good weekend and watched conference despite the chaos.

Ave said...

conference was a chaotic nightmare at my mum's house. the kids acted like crazed lunatics. i did get to hear some of the talks, i liked elder hollands talk a lot and pres. monsons. maybe i will see you at stake conference!

Gabriela said...

I like your Conference review. our kids were pretty good this time, but the house was destroyed at the end of the two days.

And how fun to volunteer in the library at night-it does sound peaceful.

Have a great weekend.