Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day

Friday, October 9th: I took the kids to the girls high school soccer game and like all outside games that I take them to, they found a dog to pet and love. The family that owned the dog didn't mind the attention that the dog was getting, so the kids went back and forth from playing on the hill to petting the dog. I always wonder if my kids are driving the dog's owner(s) nuts, but most people say they don't mind the attention their dog is getting. I think having 6 kids that I don't know maul my dog would annoy me. Noah was getting picked on as the kids played. Zach and Kate kept pushing him down and then they would sit on him when he was flat on the ground. We left before the game ended because Zach and Eleanor started fighting with each other, I was cold, and I was ready for datenight! My mom was at the game with us, so we headed home to get the kids settled in and then I left to meet Matt at his office.

Matt and I went to Pizzeria Uno for dinner. We sat at our favorite booth, which was perfect for our 1st date anniversary. 13 years ago, we went on our first date to Spotlight Cinemas to see "Emma". After dinner, we stopped at Matt's office to watch "The Office". We watched the first two episodes of this season.

Saturday, October 10th: Matt went duck hunting with Jason this morning. In the last week, Matt has gone duck hunting with Don and then Jason and both of his friends shot a duck, but not Matt.

Matt was back home in time to watch the kids while I took Eleanor to her last soccer practice. I had fun talking with Andrea and one of her friends. It had rained the night before, so the field was very wet. Eleanor and I headed home after her practice and then 45 minutes later, I headed back to the field with all the kids except Noah for Zoe's and Emily's game. They won! My mom and Victoria were at the game, too. My dad is the assistant coach, so he is always there.

The kids and I went to the grocery store and then we went home to make chicken fajitas for lunch. My kids now like fajitas. Zoe is the only one who will eat the chicken filling and the other kids eat cheese on a tortilla. It's nice to not have to listen to their moaning and groaning about fajitas! Zoe, Emily, Matt, and I started fasting after we ate.

I took Zoe to Walmart this evening to have her 10 year picture taken...only 7 months late! My mom and Victoria came with us. Zoe wasn't excited to get her picture taken, but she humored me. The picture came out very nice.

Zoe wishes that she were a twin. I heard her telling Emily that she wished that they were twins since they were such good friends.

I was holding Kate today and we were standing next to our picture of the First Presidency, so I pointed to the prophet and asked her who it was. Without hesitating Kate said, "The Prophet!" :-)

Sunday, October 11th: Matt took Zoe, Emily, and Zach to Machias today. After they left, I noticed that the kitchen light was off and I was sure it was on before. I thought the power had gone out, but the living room light was on, so we still had power. Then the kitchen light came back on and I heard a giggle near the light switch. The light went off again. I walked closer and saw Noah standing on a chair next to the light switch, with a big grin on his face as he flicked the light back on. He was having so much fun!

Noah sat on Jerry Booth's lap across the chapel through most of Sacrament meeting and Kate was content to sit on my lap. Eleanor wanted me to cuddle with her too, but Kate would get upset when I would try to hug Eleanor. When Jerry brought Noah over to me, Eleanor went back with him to sit with him and Judy, and I brought Kate and Noah up on the stand with me to bear my testimony and then we headed to the Relief Society room. I thought we were going to make it through the entire Sacrament meeting in the chapel, but Kate knew that if she put up a little fuss to leave the chapel that I would bring her into the Relief Society room, and I did.

We had a super yummy dinner at the end of our fast. It was Zoe's favorite ~ ham, precooked chicken, potatoes, gravy, squash, stuffing, cranberries, and a BLT salad. Zoe wasn't feeling good before she started eating and eating didn't make her feel better. She took a little nap, Matt made apple crisp, and then we had family council. Zoe's stomach felt better, but she had a sore throat that was making eating difficult. She did eat and perked up and we all enjoyed the apple crisp. Matt created his own recipe from 3 different recipes that we had and the crisp he made was delicious! We can get rid of the other recipes now.

Today: Matt went duck hunting on his own this morning and there were no ducks to be seen at all!

This is the time of year when I get in the organizing mood, so this morning I organized my bill basket. I'm also in a cleaning mood, so when Matt got home, he pulled out the washing machine, stove, and fridge and we cleaned behind them. I've been wanting to do this cleaning for a long time, so I am happy that it got done today!

The kids and I are now at my parents' house. My mom, Victoria, and I played a game of Phase 10. I won. :-) The kids watched "Shrek" and have been eating treats. We'll go home soon to eat dinner (I'm sure the kids won't eat much) and then we'll have FHE.

We're having our branch conference this Sunday, so I don't have to prepare a Sunday School lesson this week. :-)

1 comment:

Kris said...

I want Matt's apple crisp recipe!

About the dog, if the dog owners are anything like me they probably love kids giving the dog attention - our dog is attention starved so I am happy when other people give her some!

I hope Zoe is feeling better. I'm glad you got your date night in and get a week off from lesson preparation!