Friday, September 21, 2007

1st Field trip

Today was my first time going on a field trip with Emily and the first time going on a field trip with a baby. I was nervous about bringing Kate, but everything worked out great. She was happy because I carried her around in the sling and Emily was happy because I was there with her. We went to the Craig Pond Fish Hatchery...

Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery on Alamoosook Lake in East Orland offers something for everyone. The nation's oldest salmon hatchery, Craig Brook has been raising Atlantic salmon to replenish the Penobscot and other Downeast rivers since 1871. Craig Brook is one of more than 70 federal hatcheries in the U.S. operated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Learn about past and present at Craig Brook at the Visitor's Center (open daily Memorial Day to Columbus Day, 8-5)

Summertime: View adult and juvenile salmon in a natural brook, hike the 1-mile interpretive nature trail, suitable for all ages, or climb Great Pond Mountain. A public boat launch and picnic area at Alamoosook Lake is open 6 am to sunset. A picnic area at Craig Pond is open daily to foot and bicycle traffic only. Memorial day through Labor Day; park about a half mile up Craig Pond Trail from the hatchery and walk another half mile into Craig Pond.

Wintertime: Hike or ski the trails, ice-fish, snowmobile.

...where the kids went on a nature walk and found items that didn't belong, had a snack and then lunch later on next to the pond which was very enjoyable on this beautiful day, watched a short video about Atlantic Salmon migration and then did an activity where each child was given a container with a scent in it that they smelled and then had to remember the scent so when they went into a different room they would be able to find their scent again. Emily's scent was lemon.

It was a good field trip and the kids were good. Emily has 19 kids in her class and only 7 of them are girls. It took less than a minute of being in her class to figure out who the challenging boys are. And I realized that Emily could easily get "lost" in her class if she is having trouble because she is not one to speak up when she needs help. We'll have parent/teacher conferences soon so I'm anxious to hear what Emily's teacher has to say about her and the class. I really like her teacher. She uses her time wisely, is patient, but firm and in control, and she is nice.

4 comments:

Kris said...

That sounds like a great field trip! Did Zach go too? Fall is so beautiful. That was nice of you to go, and it's always fun to get to know the other kids at school a little. And I like your homework plans too! I love routines.

Gabriela said...

Sounds like fun! I was laughing about spoting the trouble spots within minutes-I think all classes have them-hopefully none of them are my boys!

Phae-Jae said...

Great field trip, I'm glad it was a success for the three of you.

Dawn said...

That's an amazing preponderance of boys in that class! Wow. I've never heard of that unbalance before.

I just looked out my window and it's snowing!!