Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clutter

I've been thinking a lot lately about all the stuff that gets brought into our home after we are out and about. Even when I don't plan on bringing anything home, it happens. We came home from church and dinner at my parents' house last Sunday and brought in a garbage bag full of clothes, leftovers from dinner, a book of FHE ideas, and church papers. I do appreciate the things that our friends and family give to our family, it just amazes me how much stuff gets brought into our home each day. I brought the kids to school this morning and then brought in a few stuffed animals that were in the shed. I need to stop leaving the house! Sometimes I feel guilty for getting rid of stuff that the kids made or own, but can you imagine what our home would look like if I didn't? I am in a major decluttering mood, so quite a bit of stuff has disappeared the past few weeks. Emily says we look poor now because we have less stuff. I think our home looks so much better with less stuff, and that makes me feel better, too.

2 comments:

Mal said...

Less is definitely better in the world of housekeeping. I'm a bit of a minimalist (at least in the OWNING things department) too.

I'm the same way though. Guilt-ridden for tossing something a friend gave me long ago, or a young sibling, etc. But finally I just think, ya know, if I keep it, no future generation is going to know anything more about me, and I'm just going to keep wanting to get rid of it every time I remember I have it, so I'm going to get rid of it now.

Gabriela said...

I am so much more conscious of "stuff" now than I was in my younger years. I really think about what comes in because like you said, I'm just happier when I'm not in clutter.

I give stuff away almost every week and it always makes me feel great.