Monday, April 19, 2010

All vacations come to an end

The kids and I went for a walk along the waterfront with Donna, Doug, my Dad, Barb, Bryan, and Victoria on Wednesday afternoon.



We treated ourselves to ice cream before leaving. Yum!




Kate got her first ice cream cone ever. She enjoyed it!


Eleanor had her Kids in Motion performance Wednesday evening.

Just like Emily, she sang the opening and closing songs with all of the students performing that night.

Eleanor danced to "Old Dan Tucker" instead of the "Virginia Reel". Eleanor's back was to us, so we couldn't see her face, but we could tell she was having a fun time as she danced. :-) Matt did get a picture of Eleanor as she turned to look at us.

Here is Emily super happy that her performance is over!

My mom, Donna, Andi, Barb, and Victoria came to the performance with us.
Noah was content to watch the show at first,

but, the joy of sitting wore off, so he tried watching by himself.

That worked for awhile, but he was having too much fun playing on the bleachers, so he had to sit on my lap again.

The restlessness began


We did make it to the end of the performance. You did a great job, Eleanor!

Here is a picture of Eleanor's artwork that is hanging on the wall in the hall at school.


I had a softball meeting after Kids in Motion, so I finally know who is on my team. :-) We have a few weeks of practicing on Wednesday and Friday evenings and then our games start in May. I received our equipment and left the meeting excited to start practicing, but also more nervous than ever before!

I went over to my parents' house after the meeting for Girls' Night with my mom, Donna, Barb, Victoria, and Andi. The gals had ordered Chinese food and they ate while I was at my meeting, so I ate when I got there while we watched "Carolina". The movie was good, but it's not a movie I would watch again.

Our dryer isn't working like it should, so we had someone come look at it on Thursday. The guy thought he had solved the problem, but when he tested the temperature when the dryer was running, the numbers were going down still instead of up. He looked at the dryer again and found another part that needs to be replaced, but he had to order the part, so our dryer is still not working. I've been able to do a few loads of laundry at my parents' house. I could wash our clothes and hang them outside, but I've never had good luck hanging clothes outside. I always find spiders in the clothes when I am taking them off the line. I don't like finding spiders in my clothes.

We also had our Yukon worked on Thursday afternoon. It feels great to be legal again! Matt got pulled over on Easter Sunday when we were all heading over to my parents' house to watch General Conference because our inspection was way overdue. Oops! The cop was super nice (cops are like that when they know the lawyer driver )and he just let us know about the inspection and then went on his way. The Yukon failed 2 inspections, so I have been driving around with a very old, slashed inspection sticker, which is why it feels so great to be legal again. It also feels great to be driving a safe vehicle again.

Zoe, Emily, and Eleanor had a half day of school on Friday and then their April vacation began! April vacation is my favorite vacation because it is nice enough to get out and do things. It's also exciting because after this vacation, the next vacation is summer! I'm looking forward to not having to bring the girls to school and pick them up this week.

We had our first softball practice Friday night and it went well. We had 7 out of 12 girls there, which I thought was a great turn out considering I had called the night before about the practice and it was the start of vacation.

After practice, Zoe, Emily, and I went bowling with my dad, Donna, Doug, Barb, Bryan, and Victoria. Zoe and Emily LOVED the darkened bowling alley with the disco balls flashing. We all had a fun time!

How many pins did you knock down, dad?




Victoria with her shorter hair. Donna, Barb, and Victoria got their hair cut that morning and Victoria donated her hair to Locks of Love.

Barb and Bryan.

Donna and Doug.


Everyone, except Matt, went to the Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race Saturday morning. It was a cold day, but we had fun watching canoes and kayaks go through 6 Mile Falls.

Kate begging me to pick her up.

Here is a pirate that went down the falls standing up saying "Aaarrgghh". It's fun when the racers get creative and entertain the people watching.

Zoe wants to enter the race with Matt next year. Matt has never wanted to do the 16.5 mile race with several tricky falls to get through, and I think Zoe would think twice if she realized how much paddling she would be doing.

We said goodbye to Donna, Doug, Andi, Barb, and Bryan when we left the race. :-( They flew back to North Carolina Saturday evening from Portland. We look forward to their visit next year!

Zoe wants to be a pitcher this year, so we went to the field after the race to practice. Noah and Kate slept in the car, Eleanor and Zach played in the field and ate snacks, and Emily got some batting practice in. Zoe pitched a lot of strikes, and Emily's hitting improved quite a bit during our short visit to the field. Eleanor and Zach got to hit a few balls, too. Zoe wants to practice pitching every day. It's fun to see her so excited about pitching. :-) I am recovering from being her catcher. I am so sore!

My mom took Victoria, Zoe, and Emily to see "How to Train your Dragon" Saturday evening at the Alamo. After the movie, the girls spent the night at my parents house. Zoe and Emily enjoyed the movie. I was going to take Eleanor to see it when it comes to the $1 theater, but the girls said it was too scary for her, so we'll have to see.

My mom stayed home from church yesterday with the beginnings of a cold, so Zach stayed with her while the rest of us went to church. Zach's ear was hurting and he had a runny nose. They both slept and relaxed during the day.

Matt is home today for Patriots' Day. He is out fishing in the rain with Jason right now. We have plans to weed the garden and get it ready for planting and then watch a movie. It's definitely a movie day.

Zach seems to be feeling better this morning.

2 comments:

HeatherT said...

It looks like you had a fun week. I hope your April vacation is just as nice!

Kris said...

Wow, you guys pack a lot in a week. I"m glad you had a lot of fun with family. What a beautiful waterfront to walk along! and I like the buzz cuts. Eleanor looks cute in her western gear - those hats are very clever!