Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recognizing the 4th Graders

It has been an early, busy morning. I was up at 5am to get ready for the day. I dropped Zoe and Emily off at school and then I brought Eleanor into her school with Zach, Kate, and Noah. I talked with Mrs. Pelletier for a minute and Noah let her hold him. She walked down the hall with me and when we passed the teacher's room, all of the teachers looked our way and said, "Awwww" because Mrs. Pelletier was holding a baby. It was so funny. Zach, Kate, Noah, and I got back in the car and went back to Miles Lane for the recognition assembly. All of the students and staff members were there and Zoe led everyone in the pledge of allegiance, we sang "My Country Tis of Thee", and those who knew it sang the school song. It was a nice start to the assembly. It was a pleasant surprise when Matt showed up. He had to be at work at 7:30 for a phone call, so I didn't think he was going to make it to the assembly at 8:30. I think the most touching moment of the assembly was when music from Bruce McKeen was played and he was remembered. Mr. McKeen was a 3rd grade teacher who died unexpectedly during this school year. A girl from each 4th grade class was picked to make an art piece to keep in the school as a tribute to Mr. McKeen. The artwork turned out really nice! I left my camera in the car, so I don't have any pictures of the assembly. Zoe's friend, Hailey Betts did the artwork for Mrs. LaLonde's class. Also during the assembly, a few other students were recognized for their artwork that was selected for a traveling show and all students, including Zoe and Emily, who participated in the math-a-thon were recognized. The librarian recognized a couple of students who helped her during morning recess throughout the year. Then the "Tissue Ceremony" began for the 4th graders, which was not as personal as I expected it to be. I suppose that if they said something about each 4th grader that we would have been there all day, but I was expecting more than the 4th graders stating their name into the microphone and then they received a notebook and a hug from their teacher and a certificate from Mrs. Marble, the principal. I'm glad we were able to be there to support Zoe anyway. It is a big deal to be moving on to the middle school!

I am now wasting the day away at my parents' house. They are still in North Carolina. They'll be back Saturday night with cousins in tow, yay! The kids will get to spend some time with Aly (age 10 1/2) and Phil (age 14 on Sunday). It is cold and rainy outside today. The perfect day to watch movies (we stopped at Hannaford to pick up a couple of Redbox movies..."Scooby Doo Ghosts on the Go" and "Bolt" since Zoe hasn't seen it yet and Emily and Eleanor will be playing with Daisy and Anna this afternoon at their grandmother's house) and to play on the computer. I am not a fan of 50 degree weather in June!

I put Noah in his highchair yesterday morning with a magnadoodle, so he would stay out of trouble while I got ready for the day. I was not happy to find him like this...
That would be green marker all over him. I think Kate left the marker within Noah's reach. I had put the pen/pencil basket on the table for Zach and Kate to use and the marker must have been in the basket. Into the bath Noah went, which he loved, and the marker went into the garbage.

Emily didn't go to her baseball practice last night because it was a bit rainy when we were supposed to leave. We were able to eat together as a family. We had pizza again...without any huge messes to clean up afterwards. :-)

Matt and I watched "Marley & Me" last night. What a great movie! Matt and I both agreed after the movie, though that we are glad we don't have a dog. I loved the family theme of the movie. It was a good, clean movie.

We planted our garden Monday night. Zoe gardens like a pro since her teacher, Mrs. Lalonde has had Zoe and her classmates taking care of the school garden for the past 2 years.





Noah turned 11 months old on Monday! I cannot believe he is going to be a year old next month!

Zach is demonstrating what we were all dealing with...black flies!




Planting the garden with everyone went better than I expected. I thought the little ones would be running wild or be bored, but all of the kids were anxious to help out and to be involved. Now grow garden, grow!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I keep hearing about those nasty black flies - Kev is not enjoying that part of being in Maine. We've been having cool, wet days here, too. I'm checking out his weather often and it's so much like ours.

I can't believe Noah is that close to his birthday! The twins are both walking - finally!

JCB said...

Lots of dirt--looks like fun. You're living the words of the infamous Joe Dirt--life's a garden, dig it. Hope the garden grows.

Your blog has the best tag-line. Ever.

JasonB