Monday, August 03, 2009

I think Summer has finally arrived!

Thursday, July 30th: I finally went to visit teach Tasha. She lives on Deer Isle, which is about 45 minutes away from me and usually I don't have enough gas in my vehicle to go see her or our schedules don't match, but the kids and I met her and her 3 kids at her mom's house (Marilyn Conary) in Brooklin. We had a very nice visit and the kids had a great time playing together. The girls found some Barbies that were tucked away, which they loved playing with and the boys played with a big firetruck and other boy toys. Zoe picked some raspberries and then Tasha picked some more for us to take home. Yummy!
After our visit, we went to Walmart to take advantage of the sale on school supplies, backpacks, and sneakers. Our school shopping has officially begun! I think $9 backpacks are a great deal! Zoe didn't find a backpack or sneakers that she liked. She's holding out for an L.L. Bean backpack...we'll see.
After shopping, we went home and ate lunch. Then we headed to Craig Pond to swim. This was our first beach/swimming adventure for the summer. I'm a pool girl. I'd much rather go to the pool, but I was out voted, so we went to the "lake". The kids had a great time swimming and catching frogs.
I think I crammed too much into one day for myself because by night time, I was yelling at the kids for not cleaning up. After much yelling, I had them sit around the table so we could talk...I talked, they listened. Well, they did get some talking in because I learned that they do what Matt tells them to because he gives them the strikes that we instituted way back. So, I am not slacking anymore and I am giving out the strikes, too. When I told them that I was going to give them strikes, Zoe told me that I could go back to yelling instead, but I'm opting for strikes. I don't feel like crap after giving a strike like I do after I yell.

At some point in this day, we were talking about the age difference between Matt and I, which is 10 years. Emily thought I was older than Matt because it says "Mom-60!" on our calendar. Zoe and I laughed and we explained to her that Grammie is turning 60, not me. I know I have a lot of gray hair, but I don't think I look 60!

Friday, July 31st: The kids were still not in a cleaning mood this morning, but I was determined that things would get picked up and Zoe and Emily would get completely unpacked before we did anything for the day. That happened around noon time. We left the house around 1:00 to stop at the grocery store and then head to my parents' house to eat lunch. By the time we left my parents' house to go to the pool, we had about an hour to swim. Aly came swimming with us and she came home with us after swimming to spend the night. My mom babysat the kids after work, so Matt and I could go out. We killed some time at the dollar tree (I had never been to this all for $1 store and wanted to look around...without any children. This will be our new spot for the kids to pick out their sibling gifts in December, although I'm sure it will take FOREVER for them to make a decision of what to buy.) Matt and I then went to see "The Proposal" which was very good. Go see it if you haven't seen it yet. Even Matt liked it a lot.

Saturday, August 1st: We had a family day at Craig Pond. It was quite delightful.
We went home to eat dinner and then Matt, Zoe, Emily, and I started a fast together. I am not pregnant or nursing any more, so I can fast again! Zoe and Emily had attempted to fast every month when they each turned 8, but they skip breakfast and then eat when we get home from church. I never pushed the fasting because I wasn't fasting myself. It was nice to fast together and support each other. Our dinner Sunday night was super delicious and we were so proud of Zoe and Emily for sticking with the fast with us. :-)

Sunday, August 2nd: We went to church and then went home. My mom came over in the afternoon to watch the kids, so Matt and I could go visit the Johnsons.

Monday, August 3rd
: We spent a few hours at the pool this afternoon. The past few weeks have felt like summer with the sun shining and the weather has been in the 80's. :-) We had a nice FHE. It ended with a shortened version of Yahtzee and yummy donuts.

6 comments:

Kris said...

That sounds like a great few days. I'm glad you have had some nice summer weather, and are making great use of it!:)

Kristy said...

Sounds like a fun few days! I can't believe it is school shopping time again.....but I am so ready for it!

Doug said...

That's so funny about the strikes! We have the exact same situation at our house. I've given about 10 times as many "cards" as Janae. And Lexi claims she would rather get a spanking than have cards and "the system."

I'm glad you're getting in some summer fun… before the summer ends!

Phae-Jae said...

Summer has arrived...and almost gone too!
You do such a good job with your blog. Wish I'd do better on my own:)

Dawn said...

Thank goodness you're getting some summer before it's fall! School starts in two weeks - I can't say I'm sorry, since I've had all 4 kids most every day this summer.

I know what you mean about yelling - it's not a productive way to get things done, is it?

That is so funny about the Mom-60 thing! I didn't realize Matt was so much older than you.

Gabriela said...

Juan Carlos got one of those $9.00 backpacks too.

I admire the way you say, "I can fast again!" What a good attitude toward fasting. sometimes I think I want to have another baby just so I can have a couple more years off. :)

i am totally NOT a lake swimmer. Squishy gooshy mud between my toes makes me sick.

And please explain sometime, or give me a link, of the strike system-I may have to give it a try.